Thursday 25 June 2015

Chair project evaluation

For this project I was asked to create a model chair design influenced by the style of art deco and art nouveau. At the beginning of the project I struggled to understand the assignment brief as I wasn’t sure on if we had to create a life size chair or a prototype; but eventually I did get to understand the assignment more, and eventually started to like it. Exploring something that was out of my imagination of doing. Although while perusing through the process of creating my designs I had a few struggles and complications. The main issue was with drawing my chair designs in different perspectives such as isometric and orthographic wasn’t the easiest drawing style. Trying to draw the chairs from different angles so the viewer can get a clear understanding of my design; but I did get the hang of drawing within a different viewpoint.
I used the internet as my source for the information required as everything I needed was easily found through typing in the information I was looking for. Although I did look through a few chair books to get some sort of inspiration for my next designs. While using my source I did manage to get a lot of background information about chairs from a variety of different centuries and there improvements along with background information on art deco and art nouveau. While researching I took inspiration from the creative chairs made throughout the decades and started to do sketches from the designs and took little aspects from each individual chair I had looked at.
Making my final outcome was easier than I thought as I made it up as I created the chair, but I did get inspired by one of my chair designs but improved on the chair, only taking the shape of the seat from my original drawing of a design idea for a chair outcome. The outcome of the chair was great and better than I thought. I added aspects to the chair to try make it individual to the others within the class. For example making my chair have movement (spinning) so that whomever sits on the chair can have enjoyment rather than just comfort. I don’t feel as I could have improved upon the chair outcome as the final design was better than I had hoped for even though I had not finished the design fully. I used macette to create the chair along with nail and tissue paper. I used a nail to make the chair spin around and the tissue paper to cover majority of the chair to make the chair look as if it was made of more than one material. While creating the chair I did have trouble in making the chair spin. I did not know how to join both the stand and seat of the chair together for it to be moveable, but eventually getting help from a fellow student, I was able to find a way to join the two and still be able to get the chair to me.
Looking through my book, I feel as if I showed a clear idea of designs for my chair aswell as the required information I needed to include from the art form of art deco and art nouveau. I did show a story throgught my book of my chair ideas until it came to making the chair as the final outcomes was an improvisation of a small section of my art deco chair idea. As when I started to make my chair, I did not include any information to what had lead me to create my final outcome, only ideas.

During the processes of the whole project, I feel like I’ve gained and learned new aspects for myself to use in future life. For example the processes of creating a house hold item/ object and also how to create a miniature chair. Overall I did enjoy the project as it was an ease to do, even though in the beginning I was confused. 

No comments:

Post a Comment